Making Black Salt for Personal Protection
One of the things that I love about practicing witchcraft is that I am constantly learning. I started my practice when I was 17 years old and I have never stopped learning, exploring, researching, and growing. I think that’s what has enriched my practice the most. Like the 0 card, The Fool in most tarot decks, I embrace new challenges, spells, and crafts with an open playful mind and the goal of unlimited potential. Last week, I fell down a research hole on the multiple uses of salt for spell work. Sea salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, and something I had never explored, Black Salt. Maybe you use Black Salt already. If so, may your Black Salt be powerful and serve you well. If you are like me and don’t use it yet, this article is for you. I’m going to walk you through the steps I took to make my own Black Salt and hopefully inspire you to make your own.
Protection or Banishment?
DO NOT EAT THIS. It’s not for internal use. It’s for magical use only.
Step One: Decide what you want to use it for. You can use it for protection and/or banishment. I am sharing with you my Black Salt for Protection recipe. This is MY recipe, so please use this as a loose formula to play and make your own. I am using it for protection, banishment, and converting negative energy into positive abundance and manifestation for me. The energy signature I put into it is: If you try to come into my space and dump a bag of your spiritual garbage, it will be returned to you tenfold, and I will be left with a large chuck of gold in its place!
Ingredients for Black Salt
Step Two: Gather your ingredients. I went to my witch pantry and my family pantry and gathered the ingredients that resonated with me. I ultimately ended up with the following:
- Black Peppercorns for banishing, protection against jealousy and evil, and stopping curses and hexes.
- Hops for banishing stress and nervousness.
- Juniper berries for protection, banishment, healing from diseases caused by spiritual entities, manifesting, and prosperity.
- Sage for purification, cleansing, and grounding.
- Roses from my front walk for protection and psychic awareness.
- Rosemary for protection, banishing, and cleansing.
- Bay Leaves for psychic awareness and warding off evil and negative energy.
- A chunk of raw Amber for purification, mood lightening, protection, and health.
- Coconut for protection against evil spirits and negative energies. Also, excellent kindling haha.
- Thyme for clairvoyance and psychic development. I added it so that I could “see” the motives of others.
- Cinnamon for for cleansing and for adding energy to the spell.
- Pine Incense for cleansing an area of negative energies and entities.
- Ambergris Incense for protection and for reinforcing peace and love in your home.
- Patchouli incense to ward off negative vibes, help with grounding, and protection.
- Frankincense Tears for luck, consecration, protection, purification and luck.
- Slips of paper with your intentions.
- Sea Salt for protection, grounding and purification.
- Himalayan Salt to get rid of the energy that weighs you down.
- Charcoal for purification through fire and banishing negative energies.
- Ash and scrapings from your cauldron.
Using your Black Salt
Step Three: Burn, Baby, burn! First, I did a mise en place of all of my ingredients and started burning. Second, I burnt them one at a time in my cauldron while whispering my intentions over them. I also played Led Zeppelin, danced and celebrated while visualizing protection and converting negative energies and entities sent my way into gifts of fortune. After burning the items I ground them with my mortar and pestle and put them in a clean mason jar with the sea salt and the Himalayan salt. I also added some scrapings from my cauldron from old herbs used during ritual. I then stirred it all together and said some words over it.
Once completed, I went around and sprinkled it around my house and in front of all of my doors. I was joyful as I cleansed, purified and protected my space from negative energy.
Step Four: Use it around your house and on your person. Draw a line in front of all of yours doors and windows. I also drew one in front of my front gate, and at the door to my bedroom. I want peace in my bedroom. Keep a little on your desk to remove negative energy around you. Put a pinch in your mop water before cleaning your house. Follow unwanted or rude guests out of your house and sprinkle the salt behind them so they won’t come back. Use it when you cast circles. Keep some in a satchel in your car so you don’t have incidents of road rage and to keep negative people and energies out of your car. I put a little vial of it in my purse to keep negative people the heck away from me when I’m out and about!
Final Thoughts on Black Salt
Black Salt is that extra layer of protection that you need in and around your home. My hearth, home and family are the most important things to me. This is a lesson that 2020 has taught me. A peaceful grounded home is vital when we are under varying stages of lockdown and social distancing, don’t you think? I hope that you will have some fun and join me in making your own bit of Black Salt. I’m available for questions if you are in the FB The Way of Witch Community.